Information Pack

Bank Account, Driving License and Related Info

Contribution Towards Accommodation 

First of All, if you get a Job on labor permission as an Asylum Seeker in Ireland, then you will have to contribute towards your accommodation center provided by RIA, after some period of time when your income is considered to be stable by Social Department. The contribution will be as described below.

Opening Bank Account 

As an Asylum Seeker, you have a right to open a Bank Account since 18 September 2016, any consumer who is legally resident in the European Union and who does not already have a payment account with a credit institution in the State has the right to open and use a payment account with basic features. For details, read the Booklet below as provided by Justice office.

Relevant Part regarding bank account is this

The EU Payment Accounts Directive 
(i) was transposed in Ireland by way of the European Union (Payment Accounts) Regulations 2016 

(ii). As a result, since 18 September 2016, any consumer who is legally resident in the European Union and who does not already have a payment account with a credit institution in the State has the right to open and use a payment account with basic features. Regulation 15 of the European Union (Payment Accounts) Regulations 2016 explicitly states that a consumer who is legally resident in the European Union (within the meaning of Article 2(2) of the EU Payment Accounts Directive) 

(iii) has this right regardless of his or her place of residence and regardless of whether he or she has a fixed address, is an asylum seeker, or is a consumer who has not been granted a residence permit but whose expulsion is not possible for legal or practical reasons. A payment account with basic features is like a regular payment account in several respects, but does not offer credit facilities i.e. overdrafts. All of the credit institutions provide payment accounts with basic features. These accounts are free of charge for the first year for regular payment transactions in euro within the European Union. The credit institution may charge a reasonable fee for non-euro transactions and transactions to non-EU countries. Where the consumer lodges less than the equivalent of national minimum wage to the account in a year (currently €19,240) the account stays free of charge on a year-by-year basis for five years. After that, the credit institution can charge reasonable fees. When opening a bank account the standard documentation which may be used for the purpose of verifying identity is one item of photographic ID (typically to verify name and date of birth) and one item of non-photographic IDs (typically to verify address). This does not prevent the use of two documents under the heading "Photographic ID" for the identification of name, date of birth and address. Depending on the risk assessment of the customer, additional ID verification may be required. Guidelines on the prevention of the use of the financial system for the purpose of money laundering and terrorist financing are available on website of the Department of Finance 

(iv). Appendix 2 of these guidelines is a non-exhaustive and nonmandatory list of alternative documents that can be used to verify identity in circumstances where a prospective customer cannot, for justifiable reasons, meet the standard identification and verification requirements, or has experienced difficulties in the past when seeking to open accounts.

i. Directive 2014/92/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 July 2014. 

ii. S.I. No. 482 of 2016. 

iii. "legally resident in the Union’ means where a natural person has the right to reside in a Member State by virtue of Union or national law, including consumers with no fixed address and persons seeking asylum under the Geneva Convention of 28 July 1951 Relating to the Status of Refugees, the Protocol thereto of 31 January 1967 and other relevant international treaties."


Further Education and Training

Access to the labour market may allow for access to further education or training (FET) or third level courses that have an employment, vocational or workplace-training component. Your letter of permission from the Minister to access the labour market can be used as proof of your eligibility to work. Information regarding Further Education and Training can be obtained at your local Education and Training Board (ETB), or your local Intreo Centre or your Local Employment Service (LES). While access to the majority of these programmes is free of charge, participation in Post Leaving Certificate and higher education programmes will continue to be subject to the payment of fees.

Driving License 

At the moment Asylum Seekers even with the work permit has no permission to acquire a driving license. Department of Justice has advised contacting "Department of Transport, Tourism, and Sports" for this purpose as can be seen in the above-embedded booklet.


Post a Comment